Modern workspaces that are designed to meet the real needs of employees are more compact and ecological than traditional offices. On top of that, we believe that offering shared spaces and services is another great way to minimize our environmental footprint and support active communities.
Business means the world to us, but the traditional ways to do business are outdated and the environment is now everybody’s business. The modern way of doing business has to be sustainable.
There are many things Technopolis is doing to make the planet a better place to live and work in. The foundation for our sustainability is to enable our customers to be sustainable. When our customers choose Technopolis, they know that they are making a sustainable choice. This is a constant work in progress, and we will continue to find new ways to improve the wellbeing of people and minimize our environmental footprint.
Our sustainability goal: Technopolis commits to carbon neutral energy in its buildings by 2030.Read more
Sustainability as a top priority
We integrate sustainability into every aspect of our business, focusing on environmental, social and governance (ESG) matters of importance to our stakeholders. In 2022 we made significant progress in many areas of our sustainability work, and we are pleased to introduce our ESG report on our sustainability efforts. The report is in English.
We hope you will enjoy reading the report and that it will inspire you to join us in the effort to mitigate our impact on climate change.
“Businesses need to do their share to tackle climate change. The real estate sector is currently responsible for one third of total carbon dioxide emissions, so we think going carbon neutral is a must in our industry. Real estate players need to commit to concrete action and start leveraging new innovations to reach this goal. ”
When it comes to sustainability, we have two primary focus areas that guide our actions.
Efficient & resilient workspaces
It’s important that our office spaces are eco-efficient so they further appeal to our customers, while we also want to be resilient towards the regulatory, operational, and physical implications of climate change.
- Eco-efficiency: Eco-efficiency is a top priority in the maintenance of our properties, as it leads to big savings in both emissions and euros. We develop the efficiency of our buildings with active optimization measures and investments.
- Carbon footprint: All Technopolis premises use 100% carbon-neutral certified electricity, while roof solar panels are becoming more common in our premises. The campuses of Otaniemi, Ruoholahti, Aviapolis, Ydinkeskusta, Kontinkangas, Peltola, Linnanmaa and Yliopistonrinne in Finland are fully carbon-neutral in all energy consumption (scope 1 and 2) due to the implementation of energy-efficiency measures, 100% carbon-neutral energy procurement, and the use of artificial intelligence and advanced analytics and energy optimization.
- Accessibility to campuses and charging stations for electric vehicles. Most of our premises are centrally located and easy to reach by public transport. For drivers of electric vehicles, we also offer electronic charging stations on many of our campuses.
- Environmental certifications: Technopolis uses LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) and BREEAM (Building Research Establishment Environmental Assessment Method) building certificates as management, minimization, and measurement tool of environmental impact. The rating is used to guide us on new construction projects and the management of existing buildings. LEED and BREEAM certificates are verified by a third party and include several measurements: Indoor air, energy efficiency, materials and waste, water consumption, and innovations. See a list of our certified buildings.
Healthy & productive people
Customer companies are in a better position to succeed and retain talent by having access to spaces and services that support employee productivity, wellbeing, and enjoyment. This is something we support by offering functional and communal work environments that include a range of services.
- Indoor environmental quality: In our new buildings, sustainability starts with a well-planned, functional layout that ensures fresh indoor air, optimal lighting, and good acoustics. At Technopolis, we make sure that the indoor air quality is at an appropriate level and our customers have thermal comfort conditions. We examine these through technical monitoring, as well as regularly measuring customer satisfaction in regard to the indoor air on all our campuses.
- Wellbeing: Many of our campuses include gyms, bicycle parking areas, and shower facilities that encourage cycling to work. The work-life balance of our customer companies is furthered through campus services, such as family movie days and daycare centers located on some of our campuses. Comfortable shared areas and networking events give rise to everyday social encounters and a sense of community.
- Healthy and vegetarian food options: Our restaurants offer healthy options with less sugar and low-fat products, and focus on vegetarian choices. It’s important to us that our menus have something for everyone and customers have the choice to eat vegetarian food that is more environmentally sustainable.
How sustainable is your workday?
Sustainability is an integral part of a successful business and the promotion of wellbeing. But how sustainable is your workplace? Do you make sustainable choices at work? Take this test and read some tips on how to make your workplace more sustainable.