10 tips for a more sustainable workplace
- Turn off the lights whenever you leave a room empty, even if you are just going for a cup of coffee. The office’s light switches can also be changed to motion detectors that turn the lights off automatically.
- Switch off computers, monitors, copiers and other devices when they are not in use. Remember to also unplug chargers when they are not needed.
- Choose energy-efficient electronics and recycle old electronics.
- When procuring products, take into account their environmental impacts and make new procurements only when necessary.
- Sort the waste generated at the office appropriately.
- Avoid using disposable paper and plastic cups.
- Strive to make your office paperless and favour distributing files electronically. Only print out documents when it is necessary to do so. Use paper-saving settings such as two-sided printing.
- Favour plant-based food options for meetings and lunches. Offer the option to take plant-based milk with coffee instead of cow’s milk.
- Consider walking, bicycling or using public transport to get to work. Employers can support ecological and healthy, exercise-providing commuting options by, for example, offering to pay for public transport instead of providing a parking spot.
- Avoid unnecessary business trips. Many meetings can be held remotely using videoconferencing, saving time and money.
Few extra tips for decreasing water consumption
- Only wash full dishwashers and avoid washing dishes under running water - preferably use a dishwasher
- Use toilet seat flushes correctly
- Make a service request as soon as you notice leaking water fixtures
- Do not run water unnecessarily in the shower